It is currently Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:49 pm


What do you know about the English language?

What do you know about the English language?

Postby Anonymous » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:42 am

Where does English come from? When was it first spoken etc?
Most people seem to have no clue.....
Well, show me your knowledge, nerds....

There was actually someone in USA who thought English came from America (heard about it!). :lol:
Anonymous
 

Postby oxymoron » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:08 pm

:lol: lol. English derived from many other languages, that I know, but mostly Latin. Maybe you could use the nerd's favorite tool, Wikipedia. :D
WWJD-Whom Would Jesus Do?
User avatar
oxymoron
nerd god
 
Posts: 3574
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:28 am
Location: US of A

Postby aileenthemachine » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:20 pm

I remember hearing it was a lot of Latin and German. Mix of many things really, like french.
With karate I'll kick your ass, from here to right over there!

...I find your lake of pants disturbing.
User avatar
aileenthemachine
wise nerd
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:13 pm
Location: Canada

Postby God » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:37 pm

The French parts of English probably are mostly derived fro mLatin, beause French is a Romance language. There is some Farsi (Persian) in English. The word pronounced "Barodar" in Farsi means brother in English.
Image
"Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners."
-Vladmir Lenin
User avatar
God
nerd god
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Everywhere

Postby Anonymous » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:39 am

God wrote:The French parts of English probably are mostly derived fro mLatin, beause French is a Romance language. There is some Farsi (Persian) in English. The word pronounced "Barodar" in Farsi means brother in English.


But the word brother isn't from Persian. It's so similar because Persian is an Indo-European language and it (like all other Indo-European languages) share many similarities with English when it comes to words.

Brother in many other Indo-european languages:

Brother (English)

Brathair (Irish Gaelic)

Brat (Russian)

Frater (Latin)


You can read about Indo-European languages here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_Languages
Anonymous
 

Postby God » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:45 pm

Nadia_Nerd wrote:
God wrote:The French parts of English probably are mostly derived fro mLatin, beause French is a Romance language. There is some Farsi (Persian) in English. The word pronounced "Barodar" in Farsi means brother in English.


But the word brother isn't from Persian. It's so similar because Persian is an Indo-European language and it (like all other Indo-European languages) share many similarities with English when it comes to words.

Brother in many other Indo-european languages:

Brother (English)

Brathair (Irish Gaelic)

Brat (Russian)

Frater (Latin)


You can read about Indo-European languages here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_Languages


Oh, well excuuse me. Lol.
Image
"Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners."
-Vladmir Lenin
User avatar
God
nerd god
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Everywhere

Postby yoo_hoo » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:25 pm

Well, the Russians got it right in one!!! Lol :lol: I can't believe that is the Russian word...

Well, we all know the first language came from the cavemen (and cavewomen :P) but cavemen all over must have made different words, and they might have come together and exchanged a few words and the other cavemen were all "Hey, I like that word, lets add it to our language.

I'm not sure whether it was theory or not when they said the Earth broke into continents, was it a theory or was it 100 percent certain and true?

If they broke up the continents, then cavemen in England probably named their language English.

Of course, that was just my theory with no proof behind it!

Don't argue with me, I won't argue back because this is just a theory!!!
The opposite of good is bad. If arranged marriages are bad, are disarranged divorces good?

<img src=http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://dnehost.com/img/O_Rly_Bush914.jpg>
User avatar
yoo_hoo
supreme nerd
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:17 pm
Location: Antartica

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:41 pm

yoo_hoo wrote:Well, the Russians got it right in one!!! Lol :lol: I can't believe that is the Russian word...

Well, we all know the first language came from the cavemen (and cavewomen :P) but cavemen all over must have made different words, and they might have come together and exchanged a few words and the other cavemen were all "Hey, I like that word, lets add it to our language.

I'm not sure whether it was theory or not when they said the Earth broke into continents, was it a theory or was it 100 percent certain and true?

If they broke up the continents, then cavemen in England probably named their language English.

Of course, that was just my theory with no proof behind it!

Don't argue with me, I won't argue back because this is just a theory!!!


Actually, the English language is from Germany. The Anglo-Saxons (first speakers of English) came over from Germany and invaded Britain. So.... English isn't really native to england.
And..... I won't argue with you. :D
Anonymous
 

Postby wicca basket case » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:34 pm

English is a Germanic language.
User avatar
wicca basket case
young nerd
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:58 pm
Location: New Mexico:No passport needed!

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:37 pm

us of a rules :twisted:
Anonymous
 

Postby Jonathon » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:00 pm

Read the damn threads you #&*$face this is about languages
Image
User avatar
Jonathon
nerd god
 
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Right Behind Your Grandma

Postby God » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:52 pm

Jonathon wrote:Read the damn threads you #&*$face this is about languages


Why all the anger? They probably just tried to skim over the topic and then post.
Image
"Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners."
-Vladmir Lenin
User avatar
God
nerd god
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Everywhere

Postby Anonymous » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:07 am

wat the halo2 guy sad :P
Anonymous
 

Postby wicca basket case » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:56 pm

wii wrote:wat the halo2 guy sad :P



Are you Evel? He quit posting about the time you joined.
User avatar
wicca basket case
young nerd
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:58 pm
Location: New Mexico:No passport needed!

Postby Anonymous » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:20 pm

no.........................
Anonymous
 

Next

Return to Languages

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron