36%
No
64%

Total votes : 11

Are you an empath?

Postby GeekGirl » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Vote yes or no to the poll and THEN take this quiz:

http://healing.about.com/library/quiz/hsp/blhspquiz.htm

How does your answer to the poll compare to the result of the quiz? Are you surprised by the result?

BTW, I scored 100%...I am a natural born empath. 8)
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be.

- Unknown
GeekGirl
mature nerd

Postby oxymoron » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:58 pm

I scored 50%, should I answer yes or no?
oxymoron
nerd god

Postby Affray » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:39 pm

I got a 90%.
But I should point out that it isnt possible to be born an empath.
Empathy comes from your own life experiences and point of view, none of which you are born with.
My finger points!
Affray

Postby GeekGirl » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:07 pm

I disagree...I believe empathy as well as apathy begins upon conception...how else could you explain the fact that some people are treated horribly in childhood but grow up to be very compassionate people and some people have wonderful childhoods and go on to become cold hearted murderers? It's in the genes. It's nature not nurture...JMHO
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be.

- Unknown
GeekGirl
mature nerd

Postby Zoris » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:12 pm

I show as much empathy or apathy as the Brittanica.

I think it corresponds to the keirsey personality test.

Nerds are either type NT or NF, and I, being NT, think more than I "feel".

I'm a slight schizoid though.
Zoris
mature nerd

Postby GeekGirl » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:30 pm

Zoris wrote:
Nerds are either type NT or NF, and I, being NT, think more than I "feel".

I would have to see some statistics on that...I am INFJ

- Unknown
GeekGirl
mature nerd

Re: ...

Postby Affray » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:27 pm

GeekGirl wrote:I disagree...I believe empathy as well as apathy begins upon conception...how else could you explain the fact that some people are treated horribly in childhood but grow up to be very compassionate people and some people have wonderful childhoods and go on to become cold hearted murderers? It's in the genes. It's nature not nurture...JMHO

Nature would have something to do with general moods and stuff like that.
But it couldnt really affect how you feel toward other people on an empathetic level.
Thats like saying that your genetics affect wether or not you like the colour blue.
Or that they decide for you wether or not you love to swim.
The ability to feel comes from the way that you are raised.
And if someone who is raised by terrible people turns out ok that is because they realized that their parents were terrible and intentionally stayed away from that.
Also, if empathy were a genetic thing than wouldnt all bad people have bad children?
So you were kind of contradictory in that last bit there.

Oh, by the way, im not attacking you, I just tend to renat from time to time.
My finger points!
Affray

Re: ...

Postby GeekGirl » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:53 pm

Affray wrote:
GeekGirl wrote:I disagree...I believe empathy as well as apathy begins upon conception...how else could you explain the fact that some people are treated horribly in childhood but grow up to be very compassionate people and some people have wonderful childhoods and go on to become cold hearted murderers? It's in the genes. It's nature not nurture...JMHO

Nature would have something to do with general moods and stuff like that.
But it couldnt really affect how you feel toward other people on an empathetic level.
Thats like saying that your genetics affect wether or not you like the colour blue.
Or that they decide for you wether or not you love to swim.
The ability to feel comes from the way that you are raised.
And if someone who is raised by terrible people turns out ok that is because they realized that their parents were terrible and intentionally stayed away from that.
Also, if empathy were a genetic thing than wouldnt all bad people have bad children?
So you were kind of contradictory in that last bit there.

Oh, by the way, im not attacking you, I just tend to renat from time to time.

I didn't take it as being attacked at all...no worries.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. Genetics are a funny thing. I know two people who had six children. Some have blue eyes and brown hair, some have brown eyes and blond hair and so on...I DO think the tendency to be bad or good is genetic but it doesn't always fall that way just as is eye color, skin color, hair color, etc. My point was just that...you have certain traits in your genes that are there from birth--nature. After that comes nurture. Nurture further develops what is already in your genes. It is like a crap shoot...Also consider adopted children. Some of these people turn out horrible even if they are raised by the most loving parents you could imagine. Then there is the issue of twins separated at birth. In most cases I've seen or read about twins they have many personality traits (such as empathy) in common although they were raised in different environments...

On a personal note, I have always been a sensitive person as long as I can remember. High strung was the term used for me the most (I remember hating to be called that). My childhood was horrible but I managed to overcome the bad things that happened to me because of my sensitive nature. Nurture was NOT there for me but I am still a good person.

- Unknown
GeekGirl
mature nerd

Postby Zoris » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:07 pm

I have a theory that people are born with two "meters"; one that says how much they are driven to care about themselves, one how much they are drven to careabout others.

SP have a high meter 1
SJ have a high meter 1 and 2
NT have a low meter 1 and 2
NF have a high meter 2

Now this affects how one thinks, but not quite what one thinks. The way their thoughts are reflected is based on their surroundings, but how they think starts from birth.

It can be changed, though, by concussions or whatever normally is thought of as personality-changing.

All this seems to fit perfectly with my past experiance.
Zoris
mature nerd

Postby GeekGirl » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:19 pm

Zoris wrote:I have a theory that people are born with two "meters"; one that says how much they are driven to care about themselves, one how much they are drven to careabout others.

SP have a high meter 1
NF have a high meter 2

Now this affects how one thinks, but not quite what one thinks. The way their thoughts are reflected is based on their surroundings, but how they think starts from birth.

It can be changed, though, by concussions or whatever normally is thought of as personality-changing.

I like your theory and the way you think. I have read about people having head injuries and brain tumors and their personality changes (and many times they never return to their former self). I'm not talking about just losing your memory or parts of your memory but totally changing in the way you think and feel. Another thing I find interesting is that people who are born with addictive personalities may never become addicted simply because the opportunity to use something addictive doesn't present itself. If the opportunity to drink or use drugs eventually comes along, BAM, they are addicted for life...

- Unknown
GeekGirl
mature nerd

Postby Zoris » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:37 pm

Oh, and also, when the meters are lower, then the brain fills in the rest of the person's personality with logic; That is why NT's, who have both meters low, tend to trust little but hard logic.

I am ENTP, by the way, but very close to INTP.
Zoris
mature nerd

Postby Affray » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:00 am

GeekGirl wrote:
Zoris wrote:I have a theory that people are born with two "meters"; one that says how much they are driven to care about themselves, one how much they are drven to careabout others.

SP have a high meter 1
NF have a high meter 2

I like your theory and the way you think. I have read about people having head injuries and brain tumors and their personality changes (and many times they never return to their former self). I'm not talking about just losing your memory or parts of your memory but totally changing in the way you think and feel. Another thing I find interesting is that people who are born with addictive personalities may never become addicted simply because the opportunity to use something addictive doesn't present itself. If the opportunity to drink or use drugs eventually comes along, BAM, they are addicted for life...

I dont buy that last part about the addiction.
Both of my parents have addictive personalities.
No drugs or drinking, but they smoke a lot.
I on the other hand have never smoked anything in my life, drugs or otherwise.
Even though the opportunity has fallen upon me many times.
And the head injury thing I have heard of as well.
Nice people getting a good knock and then being angry and a=then going crazy and killing their family.
My finger points!
Affray

Postby GeekGirl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:45 am

I will rephrase that: when the opportunity to drink or do drugs arises and you take the opportunity...that is to say IF you actually used. I don't mean that if you have an addictive personality you will drink or do drugs if you get the opportunity, I mean if you DO the drink or drugs you will be addicted...I'm barely awake, lol, I hope this makes sense... :lol:

- Unknown
GeekGirl
mature nerd

Postby hubble » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:32 am

hello, i'm hubble, i disagree with you. i am addicted to coffee, have an addictive personality. i also am not addicted to alcohol. i have tried alcohol, i like it, i drink it. i am not addicted for life. i got 30%. i can tell when people are lying, and i'll tell them so. We are very different, i'll enjoy debating with you.
"Hubble was strong, a gifted athlete,charming, immenseley good looking-
It all seemed too good to be true. It was. For all his gifts, Edwin Hubble was also an inveterate liar."
hubble

Postby GeekGirl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:48 am

Ahh, but denial is part of addiction... :wink:

A good, friendly debate is good for the gray matter. 8)

- Unknown
GeekGirl
mature nerd

Next

Return to People